We know all the one-liners. We’ve watched the film a thousand times. So, we know that today, October 3, is the day we celebrate one of the most pivotal films of our time. Mean Girls premiered in 2004, and it’s been our go-to cinematic guide to life ever since.
This modern classic has so many life lessons for its millennial audience. Anyone who’s experienced the feeling of being an outsider in high school can relate to at least one of the characters. But as a gay kid, it’s particularly relevant.
Whether you’re too gay to function or just in love with Aaron Samuels, remember these lessons:
1. Hate is taught
And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle, so that man could fight the dinosaursand the homosexuals.
2. True friends will love you no matter how you identify
3. Don’t listen to gossip
4. Boys will break your heart
5. But you’ll meet plenty in your life
6. Love yourself
7. Halloween is a religious holiday
8. Gay men can be incestuous
9. Slut shaming is so 2004
10. Gender is a social construct
11. Always have safe sex
12. Don’t get caught up in cliques
13. Everyone is a queen on the inside