Skip to content
Culture

Jane Fonda Says a ‘9 to 5’ Sequel is Happening with the Original Cast

Whispers of a 9 to 5 sequel have been looming since earlier this year. Today, one of the movie’s stars, Jane Fonda, confirmed that a sequel is indeed happening, and both Dolly Parton and Lily Tomlin intend to return for the office satire’s second iteration.

“My role is as an executive producer, and I’m working with the writers, with Lily, and talking to the writers,” Fonda revealed to reporters Wednesday morning. “Right now, Dolly, Lily and I are all intending to be in it.”

News broke of the sequel, which is still in development, back in February when Rashida Jones and out lesbian Patricia Resnick, who penned the original, signed on to write the script.

Fonda has been an outspoken advocate for the #MeToo movement, and given the premise of the original film, which follows three women dealing with misogyny and sexism in the workplace, the sequel comes at a timely moment.

“I’m sorry to say the situation is worse today,” Fonda said of sexual harassment in the contemporary workplace, as opposed to 1980, when 9 to 5 was released. “Today a lot of the workforce is hired by an outside company. Who do you talk to if you have a problem?”

However, the venerable actress is hopeful. “I do think sexual harassment will tend to drop,” she insisted. “Guys are scared.”

We don’t know much about the new 9 to 5, but it will be set at the same fictional company, at the Consolidated Companies offices.

Tags: Film
Read More