You can tell yourself that you love the beach because you’re a sun-worshipper, surf bum, or outdoors lover (and that’s cool), but for the 99% of us that like checking out handsome fellas in banana hammocks slather themselves in oil, gay beaches have a clear edge. So plan your summer months right by adding one of these destinations for your next getaway:
Photo Credit:Sittixay Dittavong
Infamous Bondi beach attracts characters from all walks of life, but head to the North end where the gay guys hang out. Nude beaches are a little harder to come by in Australia, but Obelisk Beach in Mosman is worth a visit.
- When to go: Warmest weather is between October and April
- Party time: Mardi Gras (March 2018)
- Upside: High-quality lifestyle, hot guys, lots of sights to see
- Downside: Can be pricey
Escape the NYC heat, and head to Fire Island to cool off (and strip off). Manhattan gyms would be out of business if it weren’t for here. And now, LogoTV has a new show of the same name. We can’t wait to see how that one plays out.
- When to go: From end of May to beginning of September
- Party time: Pride (June 2017)
- Upside: Great escape from the heat of the city, fun atmosphere
- Downside: Getting there, finding a place to stay (plan ahead)
The most open Middle Eastern city, Hilton Beach is where you’ll find the guys hanging out – and just a handy walk into the city center. Expect it to be packed to the rafters on weekends when the weather’s goodwhich is pretty much all year round.
- When to go: May – October (July & August are scorching)
- Party time: Pride (June 4 -10, 2017)
- Upside: Vibrant city with beach close by, eclectic mix of visitors from around the world, still warm in spring & autumn
- Downside: Extremely hot during the summer
If you like to party hard and like your men bronzed and buff, then the white isle will not disappoint. Head to Playa Es Cavallet near the airport, then enjoy an after dinner treat in the dunes behind the bar and stick around after 4pm for when things really heat up with killer DJ sets preparing you for the night ahead.
- When to go: June to September (July & August are the busiest months)
- Party time: Pride (June 14 – 17, 2017)
- Upside: Clubber’s paradise
- Downside: It can be pricey
Photo Credit: Maspalomas Pride, Pro Gay Events
Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain
Attracting a wider age group, from Twinkies on their first vacay without Mom and Dad, to hot go go veterans, to bulky Daddies for cuddles. They head for the infamous Maspalomas sand dunes, which offer privacy when you want it and open spaces if you prefereverything and anything goes on here.
- When to go: Warm all year round, hottest June to September
- Party time: Pride (May 4 – 14, 2017)
- Upside: Perfect for all budgets
- Downside: Can be a little trashy sometimes
Rack up those air miles and head to Africa’s cosmopolitan heartland, a vibrant city with beautiful beaches and even more stunning guys and a relaxed vibe. Two beaches are worth a visit; Clifton Three with its natural beauty, and the aptly named Sandy Beach.
- When to go: January to late April
- Party time: Pride (February / March 2018)
- Upside: Great value for money, unique city with cosmopolitan vibe, great outdoor life
- Downside: It’s a long way to travel
Photo Credit: Visit Puerto Vallarta
Playground for the beautiful, head to the southern end of Playa Los Muertos, where you can enjoy an abundance of water sports and eye candy. As the busiest beach, it’s a handy location to roll from the beach to a bar to your hotel.
- When to go: November to May
- Party time: Pride (May 21 – 28, 2017)
- Upside: Easy to get to from the US
- Downside: It’s a Spring Break hotspot, so choose your month wisely
Mykonos attracts a high caliber of sun worshipping guys from all over Europe and beyond. With no high rises, it’s a whitewashed, pretty Greek Island with a selection of friendly bars and a great daytime hangout at Elia Beach.
- When to go: June to September
- Party time: XLsior Mykonos (August 23 – 30, 2017)
- Upside: Quality island with an attractive crowd
- Downside: Can be expensive, and it books up early